Perspectives on youth, issue 3
"Healthy Europe: confidence and uncertainty for young people in contemporary Europe"
Volume 3 of the series Perspectives on youth focuses on “Healthy Europe”, not just in the narrow sense, but in the broader sense of what it is like to be young in a Europe faced with conflict and austerity, and what it feels like to be young as transitions become ever more challenging. The assumption when planning this issue was that health in this broader sense remains a controversial area within youth policy, where the points of departure of policy makers on the one hand and young people themselves on the other often are dramatically different; in fact, young people tend to interpret the dominating discourse as limiting, patronising, maybe even offensive.
The question of health brings the old tensions between protection and participation as well as agency and structure to the forefront. Not all questions are addressed in detail but many are touched upon. It is, intentionally, an eclectic mix of contributions, to provide a diversity of argumentation and to promote reflection and debate. As has been the intention of Perspectives on youth throughout, we have sought to solicit and elicit the views of academics, policy makers and practitioners, presenting theoretical, empirical and hypothetical assertions and analysis.
- Editorial – Confidence and uncertainty for young people in contemporary Europe. By Howard Williamson and Antonia Wulff
- Interview with Harald Hartung on youth and health
- The youth precariat, “generationism” and the austerity city. By Fred Powell and Margaret Scanlon
- From holistic needs to cross-sectoral measures - an analysis of cross-sectoral youth policy based on relevant documentation. By Magda Nico
- Envisioning a sustainable future. By Beata Sochacka
- Youth transitions: chances and choices - global democratic and social challenges. By Dragana Avramov
- Correlates of mental health and psycological well being of European youth: evidence from the European quality of life survey. By Haridhan Goswami and Gary Pollock
- “Illegal bodies” on the move – a critical look at forced migration towards social justice for young asylum-seekers. By Maria Pisani
- Self-effective, active and healthy – health promotion in international youth work. By Ansgar Drücker
- LGBT young people and homophobic and transphobic bullying – the European and international human right context. By Michael Barron
- Reflections on a lifetime of engagement in the youth field – persisting questions. By Gordon Blakely
- Youth, peer education and health: a questionable solution to reduce social inequalities in health (SIH). By Yaëlle Amsellem-Mainguy
- Body, health and the universe – a polemic and critical review of youth health behaviour. By Manfred Zentner
- List of contributors
- About the editorial team
- ABSTRACTS / RÉSUMÉS / ZUSAMMENFASSUNGEN
Download the entire issue 3 in a single PDF File