In 2010, relevant stakeholders in the youth field (such as the network of Youth in Action National Agencies and SALTO Resource Centres, Youthpass Advisory Group, Expert Group of the European portfolio for youth leaders and youth workers, European Youth Forum, youth researchers and youth policy makers…) expressed the need for a better coordination and observation of activities at European level in the field of recognition of youth work and of non-formal learning / education. The EU-CoE youth partnership was invited to play such a coordination role and therefore established as of 2011 an Expert Group on Recognition which meets bi-annually. The objectives of the Expert Group are to observe and monitor the implementation of elements outlined in the renewed Pathways 2.0 paper of 2011 and as referred to in the outcomes of the symposium on recognition in November 2011 (‘statement of participants' and ‘plan of action') ; it also aims at supporting the different initiatives in the EU and of the Council of Europe in the field of quality development / assurance and contributing to recognition and validation of youth work and non-formal learning in general.
The objectives opf the expert group have been defined in a concept paper.
The Expert Group gathers representatives of:
- Council of Europe – Youth Department
- European Commission - Directorate General for Education and Culture (DG EAC), Directorate – Youth and Sport
- European Economic and Social Committee
- European Youth Forum (YfJ)
- Advisory Council on Youth (AC)
- European Steering Committee for Youth (CDEJ)
- JUGEND für Europa, German National Agency for the EU Programme Erasmus+ Youth in Action
- SALTO-YOUTH Training and Co-operation Resource Centre
- Trainers community in the field of youth
- Pool of European Youth Researchers (PEYR) of the EU-CoE youth partnership and
- The partnership between the European Commission and the Council of Europe in the field of Youth (EU-CoE youth partnership)
The Expert Group meets twice a year (spring and autumn) since January 2011