01 Sep 2021 15:27:00Strasbourg 1 September 2021
Within the framework of the Joint European Union/Council of Europe Programme ROMACTED Phase II on...
29 Jul 2021 17:42:00
The ROMACTED Support Team in Montenegro completed initial visits to municipalities within ROMACTED IIPodgorica 29 July 2021
In the past month, the ROMACTED Support Team from Montenegro, led by the Project Officer and the...
21 Jul 2021 16:23:00Podgorica 12 July 2021
The ROMACTED 2 Support Team meeting took place in Podgorica on 12 July and gathered together the...
30 Nov 2020 09:12:00Podgorica 30 November 2020
The first wave of the pandemic had hit the Roma community on a large scale and, despite...
17 Jun 2020 14:36:00Podgorica 14 June 2020
Despite the number of cases of the COVID-19 pandemic in Montenegro remaining lower than in other...
17 May 2020 22:30:00Strasbourg 17 May 2020
ROMACTED Programme aims at building up political will and sustained policy engagement of local...
15 Apr 2020 11:26:00Podgorica 15 April 2020
Montenegro was the last of the Western Balkans countries to record cases of COVID-19. Once the...
11 Dec 2019 15:39:00Petrovac, Montenegro 2-3 December 2019
A two-day training for 15 representatives of local authorities involved in the ROMACTED Programme...
07 Nov 2019 17:35:00Podgorica 11 October 2019
The second Advisory Group Meeting of the ROMACTED Programme took place in Podgorica on 11 October...
24 Jun 2019 13:28:00Skopje 18 June 2019
The meeting gathered together representatives from the Directorate-General for Neighborhood and...
- UNDP ReLOaD: A representative of the ReLOaD project participated in a panel discussion at the launch event and in the first National Advisory meeting. Three ROMACTED municipalities are involved in the ReLOaD Programme (Strengthening of local democracies): Tivat, Podgorica and Niksic;
- German NGO HELP: The Mayor of Bijelo Polje requested a meeting with the German NGO HELP in order to create links with potential donors for housing of Roma and Egyptians. HELP is one of the main implementers of housing programmes in Montenegro, together with the Regional Housing Programme. The programme also shared experiences and lessons learnt from the earlier implementation of a similar programme implemented by HELP and the local municipality of Herceg Novi, proposing some measures to prevent risks, as well as possible drawbacks, to both parties;
- Regional Cooperation Council (RCC): In August 2018, RCC and ROMACTED agreed to send a common proposal to the Montenegrin Statistical Institute (MONSTAT) regarding the updating of statistics on Roma and Egyptians. A representative of ROMACTED participated in the national consultations organised by RCC in June 2019;
- In joint efforts between the Municipality of Herceg Novi and Roma communities to solve flooding problems in one of the Roma settlements, cooperation was established with the NGO HELP which co-financed the building of supporting walls in this settlement;
- The Ministry for Human and Minority Rights of Montenegro organised a training event on “Roma-Responsive Budgeting” for members of the Commission for Monitoring the Implementation of the NRIS 2016-2020;
- Communication with the Municipality of Kotor, the municipality neighbouring both Herceg Novi and Tivat, was established in order to resolve the problem of water supply for inhabitants of the Roma settlement Lovanja, which is a shared territory between the municipalities of Kotor and Tivat;
- In three targeted ROMACTED municipalities (Tivat, Niksic and Bijelo Polje), three projects related to Roma are supported through a sub-granting scheme within the regional EU-funded project “Joint Initiative to Empower Roma Civil Society in the Western Balkans and Turkey”. These projects are implemented by three Roma NGOs dealing with education, culture and identity and strengthening capacities of Roma NGOs;
- Through the regional Roma Education Fund project “Increased education opportunities for Roma students and Roma youth in the Western Balkans and Turkey”, all Roma high school students from ROMACTED municipalities receive mentorship support and internship opportunities. Currently there are 121 students in ROMACTED municipalities, which accounts for 95% of the total number of beneficiaries;
- The mayors of Nikšić and Bijelo Polje received the “Most Roma-friendly mayor” prize for Roma Integration within the framework of the project “Joint initiative to empower Roma civil society in the Western Balkans and Turkey”, implemented by ERGO Network and Roma Active Albania. The ROMACTED support team was actively involved in encouraging the local actors to apply for the prize.
Publications Phase I
- Situaciona analiza: Identifikacija i mapiranje relevantnih izazova sa kojima se suočava zajednica Roma i Egipćana u Crnoj Gori
- Situation analysis: Identifying and mapping relevant challenges faced by RE community in Montenegro
- Analiza pravnih i institucionalnih mehanizama za pružanje servisa socijalne integracije Roma i Egipćana u Crnoj Gori sa analizom nepokrivenih nadležnosti i nedostajućih servisa podrške
- Analysis of Legal and Institutional Mechanisms for the Provision of Roma and Egyptian Social Integration Services in Montenegro, with Analysis of Lacking Competences and Support Services