Work in this thematic area focuses on prisons and police (including human rights in policing, healthcare in prisons and safeguards against torture and ill-treatment), human rights standards in the judiciary (focusing on enhancing the application of case-law of the European Court of Human Rights), migration issues, the efficiency of justice systems (with a focus on analysing judicial statistics to optimise court administrations) and/or legal co-operation (which concentrates on increasing the individual independence of judges and prosecutors and the accountability of the judicial system).
30 nov. 2023
Sustaining progress: European Union and Council of Europe extend their commitment in Pristina to strengthen justice, fight discrimination and improve freedom of expressionPristina 30 November 2023
The European Union and the Council of Europe have been providing tailor-made support to Kosovo*...
24 nov. 2023
Institutions of Montenegro send a strong message of zero tolerance of all forms of ill-treatment and impunityBudva 23 November 2023
A roundtable, organised under the action “Enhancing human rights protection for detained and...
21 nov. 2023Belgrade 16 November 2023
The joint European Union and Council of Europe action "Strengthening human rights protection in...
20 nov. 2023
Rehabilitation of violent extremist prisoners: practitioners from Western Balkans learn from the experience of Bosnia and HerzegovinaBosnia and Herzegovina 14-15 November 2023
Representatives of the ministries of justice and prison administrations from Albania, Kosovo*,...
- Strengthening the quality and efficiency of justice in Albania (SEJ IV)
- Improving the protection of the right to property and facilitating execution of ECtHR judgments in Albania (D-REX III)
- Enhancing the protection of human rights of prisoners in Albania
- Strengthening the efficiency and quality of justice in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiHSEJ)
- Further strengthening the treatment of detained and sentenced persons in line with European standards in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Strengthening the quality and efficiency of justice in Kosovo* (KoSEJ III)
- Strengthening accountability of the judicial system and enhancing protection of victims' rights in Montenegro
- Enhancing human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Montenegro
- Towards a consolidated and more efficient Free Legal Aid (FLA) system in North Macedonia
- Strengthening the capacities of the penitentiary system in North Macedonia
- Strengthening human rights protection in Serbia
- Enhancing the human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Serbia
- Strengthening the human rights protection in the context of migration in Türkiye
- Towards a better evaluation of the results of judicial reform efforts in the Western Balkans – Phase II “Dashboard Western Balkans II”
- Enhancing co-operation in the Western Balkans in managing violent extremism in prisons and preventing further radicalisation after release
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo Declaration of Independence.