Work in this thematic area focuses on prisons and police (including human rights in policing, healthcare in prisons and safeguards against torture and ill-treatment), human rights standards in the judiciary (focusing on enhancing the application of case-law of the European Court of Human Rights), migration issues, the efficiency of justice systems (with a focus on analysing judicial statistics to optimise court administrations) and/or legal co-operation (which concentrates on increasing the individual independence of judges and prosecutors and the accountability of the judicial system).
19 mai 2023
Senior police officials in Bosnia and Herzegovina intensify efforts to prevent and respond to ill-treatmentMostar 16 - 17 May 2023
Different ways to prevent impunity and promptly respond to allegations of ill-treatment while...
18 mai 2023
Judges and State Prosecutors in Montenegro enhance their knowledge on judicial and prosecutorial ethics and disciplinePodgorica 16 - 17 May 2023
With the aim of promoting Judicial Ethics and Professional Conduct, a two-day workshop for judges...
18 mai 2023
Improving the capacities of public actors in North Macedonia concerning cases of domestic and gender-based violence and cases where children are involvedOhrid 18 May 2023
A three day capacity building activities on access to justice in cases of domestic and...
15 mai 2023
High-level discussions in Serbia on the way to move forward towards the rapid execution of the Court judgments related to SerbiaBelgrade 8 May 2023
The Council of Europe’s Director of Human Rights, representatives of the Execution Department,...
- Strengthening the quality and efficiency of justice in Albania (SEJ IV)
- Improving the protection of the right to property and facilitating execution of ECtHR judgments in Albania (D-REX III)
- Enhancing the protection of human rights of prisoners in Albania
- Strengthening the efficiency and quality of justice in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiHSEJ)
- Further strengthening the treatment of detained and sentenced persons in line with European standards in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Strengthening the quality and efficiency of justice in Kosovo* (KoSEJ III)
- Strengthening accountability of the judicial system and enhancing protection of victims' rights in Montenegro
- Enhancing human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Montenegro
- Towards a consolidated and more efficient Free Legal Aid (FLA) system in North Macedonia
- Strengthening the capacities of the penitentiary system in North Macedonia
- Strengthening human rights protection in Serbia
- Enhancing the human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Serbia
- Strengthening the human rights protection in the context of migration in Türkiye
- Towards a better evaluation of the results of judicial reform efforts in the Western Balkans – Phase II “Dashboard Western Balkans II”
- Enhancing co-operation in the Western Balkans in managing violent extremism in prisons and preventing further radicalisation after release
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo Declaration of Independence.