Work in this thematic area focuses on prisons and police (including human rights in policing, healthcare in prisons and safeguards against torture and ill-treatment), human rights standards in the judiciary (focusing on enhancing the application of case-law of the European Court of Human Rights), the efficiency of justice systems (with a focus on analysing judicial statistics to optimise court administrations) and/or legal co-operation (which concentrate on increasing the individual independence of judges and prosecutors and the accountability of the judicial system).
10 Jul 2020 15:41:00
Third Steering Committee Meeting under the action “Enhancing penitentiary system and the External Oversight Mechanism in North Macedonia”Skopje 10 July 2020
The Third Steering Committee meeting of the action “Enhancing the capacities of the penitentiary...
18 Jun 2020 20:07:00
“Videoconference in Court proceedings & human rights standards” – Regional Roundtable with Legal ProfessionalsWestern Balkans 18 June 2020
Judiciaries in the Western Balkans faced extraordinary challenges created by the COVID-19...
09 Jul 2020 15:35:00Pristina 9 July 2020
The working group on the development of rehabilitation tools and programme for violent extremist...
08 Jul 2020 11:21:00
Well trained prison and probation staff are precondition to successful disengagement and reintegration of violent extremist offendersWestern Balkans 7 July 2020
The second regional Working Group session on „Capacity building and training of prison and...
- Strengthening the quality and efficiency of justice in Albania - Phase III
- Supporting enforcement of judicial decisions and facilitating execution of ECtHR judgments in Albania
- Enhancing the protection of human rights of prisoners in Albania
- Strengthening human rights treatment of detained persons based on European standards and
- Strengthening the quality and efficiency of justice in Kosovo* - Phase II
- Accountability of the judicial system in Montenegro - Phase II
- Improved procedural safeguards in judicial proceedings in Montenegro
- Further enhancing human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Montenegro
- Strengthening independence and accountability of the judiciary in Serbia
- Strengthening the effective legal remedies to human rights violations in Serbia
- Enhancing the human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Serbia
- Supporting enhanced access to higher quality Free Legal Aid services in North Macedonia
- Enhancing the capacities of the penitentiary system and the external oversight mechanism in North Macedonia
- Supporting the implementation and reporting on the Action Plan on Human Rights in Turkey
- Judicial training institutes for Quality and Sustainability in the Western Balkans
- Initiative for legal certainty in the Western Balkans
- Enhancing penitentiary capacities in addressing radicalisation in prisons in the Western Balkans
- Towards a better evaluation of the results of judicial reform efforts in the Western Balkans
- Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals (HELP) in the Western Balkans
- PACE cooperation with the parliamentary assemblies with a view to achieving legislative improvements in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia and Serbia
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo Declaration of Independence.