Project of the General secondary school “17 shkurti”:
Media and democratic citizenship in our municipality
Specific project’s objectives
- To develop among pupils an understanding of participation as a component of democracy and the role of media;
- To enable pupils reflect on the value and means of their history;
- To develop among the pupils the capacity to evaluate what factors are required to ensure the development of democratic citizenship.
Project’s main activities:
Training teachers: Reading and writing for critical thinking – RWCT programme
Trained teachers will educate their colleagues on RWCT programme. The program enables professional development of teachers and improving their performance. They implement it successfully at each level of education. This program contains more than 60 techniques and strategies and it educates teachers on new methods of teaching, helping them to apply process of inclusion easier in their school. On the other side it enables the development of various competencies of pupils, such as:
- Active Questioning
- Critical Thinking
- Solving problems
- The processes of reading and writing
- Alternative Assessment
- Learning of self initiative
- Learning in collaboration
- Taking personal responsibility for learning
- Understanding the logic of arguments
- discussing confidential
- becoming independent learners and interested to learn throughout their lives
All these activities contribute to the strengthening of inclusion in schools. Therefore it is important for the school to have this type of training (accredited by the National Council for Teacher Licensing).
Activities for pupils:
Since the school has a small number of pupils, all pupils will be offered to take part in various project activities. Civic education teachers and history teachers will divide children into groups and each child will decide which group to join and in what activity to participate. All of the activities will be monitored by school principal in order to insure quality and best way of working. Activities will be various, such as:
- Making the presentation of the history of their community in various ways.
- Exploring online, via Internet;
- preparing a poster which expresses the history of the country;
- Exploring country's cultural heritage;
- Preparing a leaflet with summary of activities and the content of their history;
- Performing a short documentary film where different cultures will be presented within the community and families;
School will organize an exhibition and invite the entire community and introduce to them the achievements of their project.
Project’s target groups
- Direct beneficiaries: at least 300 pupils, all 17 teachers from the school and also the support staff of the school.
- Indirect beneficiaries: at least 100 families of the Municipality.