Work in this thematic area focuses on prisons and police (including human rights in policing, healthcare in prisons and safeguards against torture and ill-treatment), human rights standards in the judiciary (focusing on enhancing the application of case-law of the European Court of Human Rights), the efficiency of justice systems (with a focus on analysing judicial statistics to optimise court administrations) and/or legal co-operation (which concentrate on increasing the individual independence of judges and prosecutors and the accountability of the judicial system).
Call for tenders for the provision of intellectual services in the implementation of CEPEJ cooperation programmesStrasbourg 7 January
The Council of Europe’s European commission for the Efficiency of Justice (CEPEJ) is launching a...
Pristina 18-19 December 2019
In October 2019, a coordination group of international experts from the Norwegian-funded CMIS/ICT...
Budva 16 December 2019
Public bailiffs and other legal professions can gain the trust of the citizens and economy only...
MEDIA ADVISORY: Conference "Professional conduct and responsibility of public bailiffs-standards and challenges"Budva 13 December 2019
The media are invited to attend the opening of a major conference where public bailiffs, judges,...
- Strengthening the quality and efficiency of justice in Albania - Phase III
- Supporting enforcement of judicial decisions and facilitating execution of ECtHR judgments in Albania
- Enhancing the protection of human rights of prisoners in Albania
- Strengthening human rights treatment of detained persons based on European standards and best practices in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Strengthening the quality and efficiency of justice in Kosovo* - Phase II
- Accountability of the judicial system in Montenegro - Phase II
- Improved procedural safeguards in judicial proceedings in Montenegro
- Further enhancing human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Montenegro
- Strengthening independence and accountability of the judiciary in Serbia
- Strengthening the effective legal remedies to human rights violations in Serbia
- Enhancing the human rights protection for detained and sentenced persons in Serbia
- Supporting enhanced access to higher quality Free Legal Aid services in North Macedonia
- Enhancing the capacities of the penitentiary system and the external oversight mechanism in North Macedonia
- Supporting the implementation and reporting on the Action Plan on Prevention of ECHR violations in Turkey
- Judicial training institutes for Quality and Sustainability in the Western Balkans
- Initiative for legal certainty in the Western Balkans
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo Declaration of Independence.