The European Union and the Council of Europe work together with the Eastern Partnership countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova, Ukraine) through the Joint Programme Partnership for Good Governance (PGG) to:
- bring Eastern Partnership countries’ legislation and practice closer to European standards in the fields of human rights, rule of law and democracy;
- strengthen the capacity of Eastern Partnership countries to implement domestic reforms.
PGG 2019-2021 focuses on the priority areas of justice reforms, fight against corruption, anti-money laundering and terrorist financing, and combating discrimination.
From 5 to 7 October, the online event ‘Improving the lives of citizens through better governance’ provided the opportunity to:
- discover how good governance has been promoted in the Eastern Partnership region
- learn about the results the programme has delivered to improve the lives of citizens
- hear how the PGG has contributed to the European Union 2020 Deliverables and to the Council of Europe Action Plans for Eastern Partnership countries
- find out how the programme continued to support the partner countries facing the COVID-19 pandemic
- take part in the discussion on future actions under the PGG programme and beyond 2020
Browse the PGG online event website to hear about the latest views from high-level representatives of the European Union, the Council of Europe, and the Eastern Partnership countries including: Marija Pejčinović Burić, Secretary General of the Council of Europe; Olivér Várhelyi, Commissioner for Neighbourhood and Enlargement of the European Union and representatives of national authorities from Eastern Partnership countries.
During two live panels, attendees were given the opportunity to ask questions and share their thoughts and ideas on the ongoing and future co-operation between the European Union, the Council of Europe and the Eastern Partnership countries:
- 5 October 2020 / 10:30-12:00 CET - "Eastern Partnership: challenges and priorities for future co-operation"
- 7 October 2020 / 10:30-12:00 CET - "Responses to COVID-19 and lessons learned in the Eastern Partnership region"
In the framework of the event, you can also:
- contribute to further developing and defining future co-operation priorities for the Eastern Partnership region by adding your voice to our Suggestion Box
- test your knowledge on the PGG by taking part in the Quiz
- participate in a Photo Competition