The Regional Launching of the European Union / Council of Europe Joint Programme “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Turkey II” will take place on 9 October 2019, at the Hotel “Aleksandar Palace” in Skopje, Republic of North Macedonia, starting from 09:00 to 18:00.
Opening remarks will be given by:
- Mr Nikola Dimitrov, Minister of Foreign Affairs of North Macedonia
- Ms Verena Taylor, Director, Office of the Directorate General of Programmes, Council of Europe
- Mr Colin Wolfe, Head of Unit, Western Balkans Regional Cooperation and Programmes, Directorate General for Neighborhood and Enlargement Negotiations, European Commission
Within the event, the participants will have an opportunity to take part in parallel thematic workshops, each covering themes within the four key thematic areas:
- Ensuring justice (Prisons and Police; Justice and Human Rights);
- Fighting corruption, economic crime and money laundering;
- Combating discrimination and protecting the rights of vulnerable groups (Education, Human Rights and Anti – Discrimination; Trafficking in Human Beings);
- Freedom of expression and the media.
Additionally, two plenary sessions will be held in order to draw conclusions from each of the workshops and determine how to effectively translate Horizontal Facility II objectives into tangible benefits for citizens of the Western Balkans and Turkey.
The event is taking place within the framework of the Joint European Union and Council of Europe Programme “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkan and Turkey II” and it will serve as an opportunity to regionally launch the second phase of the programme.
The event will begin at 09:00 at the Hotel “Aleksandar Palace” in Skopje, Republic of North Macedonia and is fully open to the media.
Separate interviews can be arranged upon request. Simultaneous interpretation will be provided. In order to facilitate the presence of the media at the conference, the journalists are expected to confirm their participation by Monday, 7 October, by the close of business indicating the name and the media outlet they represent.
Contact for media accreditation:
Marija Simić Marija.SIMIC@coe.int, +381 63 60 13 37
For further information, please contact:
Marija Simić Marija.SIMIC@coe.int, +381 63 60 13 37 or
Besnik Baka Besnik.BAKA@coe.int, +355 69 217 8430