The overall objective of the project is to enhance – in line with the Beneficiaries' commitments to EU accession and Council of Europe standards* – social inclusion and social cohesion in the region by promoting inclusive education and training.
In order to realize this objective, the project will promote the concept of inclusive education as a reform principle that respects and caters for diversity amongst all learners, with a specific focus on those who are at a higher risk of marginalisation and exclusion.
The overall objective will be achieved through the specific objective of promoting the concept of inclusive education, as well as relevant policies and practices in the formal education system at pre-university level in South East Europe in five specific areas:
- Setting up regional support mechanisms and resources for pilot inclusive schools;
- Raising awareness of the benefits of inclusive education for the general public as well as decision makers;
- Enhancing the capacities of policymakers for designing and implementing inclusive education policies;
- Improving the teacher competences and practices for inclusive education;
- Making progress on the removal of concrete barriers for vulnerable groups including through stronger partnerships within a co-ordinated framework.
*In particular the European Social Charter and the New Strategy and Council of Europe Action Plan for Social Cohesion (approved by the Committee of Ministers on 7 July 2010).