A series of focus group meetings on discussion of the Preliminary Draft of the Progress Review Methodology of the Justice Sector Reforms Implementation, organized within the framework of the EU/CoE joint project “Consolidation of Justice Sector Policy Development in Ukraine”, was held on 5-10 October 2016 in Kyiv.
Development of the Progress Review Methodology has been launched in February 2016 aimed at measuring progress in implementing justice sector reforms. To ensure coherence in the development process a Reference Group was established.
To ensure broad participation of the various justice sector stakeholders and holistic approach in the process of the development of the Methodology, the team of CoE international consultants presented following sections of the preliminary draft of the Progress Review Methodology for discussion:
- increasing the independence of the judiciary, streamlining judicial governance and appointment of judges; increasing the competence of the judiciary; increasing accountability of the judiciary; increasing the efficiency of justice and streamlining the competences of the various jurisdictions; increasing transparency and publicity of justice;
- strengthening the Public Prosecutor’s Office;
- increased effectiveness of the justice sector in the detection and prevention of organised crime and corruption;
- improving the enforcement system;
- strengthening the Bar and legal aid and enhancing fairness and defence rights in criminal proceedings;
- increasing effectiveness in the prevention of crime and promoting rehabilitation in the execution of sanctions.
Representatives of the Council of Europe, Presidential Administration, Ministry of Justice, judiciary, law enforcement agencies, other actors of the justice sector, civil society and international initiatives participated in the meetings.
Various provisions of each particular section of the Methodology were discussed. Proposals and comments received from participants during the meetings and those which will be sent additionally to the Council of Europe will be considered by international consultants while finalizing the Methodology.